Monument record FSF 090 - Late medieval/post-medieval pit, Land to rear of Old Post Office, Church Street
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2615 7740 (7m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||FRESSINGFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
2016: Evaluation recorded two or more substantial intercutting/ adjoining pits, infilled with a deposit containing late medieval and post-medieval material. The upper fill contained material indicative of activity in the area during the 15th-16th century and possibly suggests the presence of a kiln in the settlement. The position of the site, to the rear of buildings fronting onto Church Street, suggests that these pits lay in the rear gardens/yards, on the edge of the medieval and post-medieval settlement (S1).
2017: Subsequent monitoring of the same area did not identify any other significant features. However, two large depressions, probably former clay extraction pits, that were probably backfilled in the 19th century were recorded (S2).
- <S1> SSF58075 Unpublished document: Craven, J.. 2016. Archaeological Evaluation, Land to rear of the Old Post Office, Church Street, Fressingfield.
- <S2> SSF58076 Unpublished document: Sommers, M.. 2017. Archaeological Monitoring, Land to rear of the Old Post Office, Church Street, Fressingfield, Suffolk.
- FSF45984: POTTERY (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
- FSF45985: TILE (Medieval to IPS: Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FSF45986: BLADE? (Unknown date)
- FSF45987: ANIMAL REMAINS (Unknown date)
- FSF45988: OYSTER SHELL (Unknown date)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 13 2017 1:45PM