Building record HSK 104 - Riverside House, Hasketon
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2454 5034 (16m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||HASKETON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
2017: Historic building recording conducted ahead of demolition. Riverside house lies in the centre of a 1.5 acre plot of pasture. The timber-framed, rendered and pantiled structure dates from the late-18th century or the very beginning of the 19th, and was shown as an isolated property on the 1838 tithe map with a simple rectangular outline and no outbuildings on arable land. A weatherboarded outbuilding to the rear now serves as a double garage and was first shown on the 1904 OS, but was largely or wholly rebuilt in uniform softwood later in the 20th century. The land eastern side of the land had been planted as an orchard by 1927. The house contains a two-bay hall with a high-end chimney adjoining its parlour on the west and evidence of an original entrance in the cross-passage position to the east. A blocked first-floor doorway in the eastern gable suggests the present lean-to extension in the position replaced a two-storied service bay or is possibly the loading hatch of a first-floor granary. The original clasped-purlin roof survives along with much of the wall framing where it is exposed on the upper storey. Panels of original wattle-and-daub can be seen beneath the staircase. The exterior retains a traditional appearance despite its renewed windows and brick porch. Its three-cell layout is typical of the 17th century rather than the Georgian period and demonstrates that older traditions survived at the lower end of the farming scale much later (S1).
- <S1> SSF58360 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2017. Historic Building Record, Riverside House, Hasketon, Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 3 2018 2:18PM