Monument record MRM 013 - Eight Round Barrows on Martlesham Heath; Spratt's Plantation
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2549 4534 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round Barrow (remains of).
1838: One of three barrows shown on OS one inch map, first edition. 1935: Large tree covered bowl (R1).
1962: Remains of a bowl barrow. It has been dug away on the N and W sides, otherwise it is in fairly good condition. The barrow was originally 15m in diameter E-W by 17m transversely, its maximum height is 1.3m. It is covered with trees (S3).
1974: In woodland, too disturbed to be measurable (S4).
1977: Much mutilated (S1).
1981: Cut away on W & N. Narrow ditch on S side running E-W across barrow. Bracken & trees (S1).
1985: Very irregular profile; with mound cut away on N, W and E? In woodland, covered with grass, bracken and a couple of oak (S1).
January 1992: Stratigraphy of ditch visible in tree upcast on E side, circa 3m wide, 15cm deep (S2).
1994: SAM area revised (S1).
- <R1> SSF12209 (No record type): NWHCM, 1935.
- <M1> SSF44140 (No record type): Barrow file:.
- <S1> SSF5257 (No record type): DOE, Scheduling information, October 1986, SAM file 21268.
- <M2> SSF44141 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R2> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S2> SSF992 (No record type): Bamford H (DOE), site visit, January 15, 1992.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24NE9C.
- <S4> SSF10891 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E A, The Excav of Barrows 2, 3 & 4, Martlesham Heath, 1974, E Ang Archaeol, 3, 1976, 17-41.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (7)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Coad V J) (Ref: DOE (Coad V J)) (ESF13992)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF14020)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF14009)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Robertson-Mackay R) (Ref: DOE (Robertson-Mackay R)) (ESF13609)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by NWHCM (Ref: NWHCM) (ESF13053)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF13837)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13958)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2019 4:16PM