Monument record WLD 004 - Round Barrow on Waldringfield Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2663 4481 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WALDRINGFIELD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Barrow (site of). Now relatively flat.
1959: Much levelled 10 years ago, badly ploughed over. 15 yd diameter (S1).
May 1960: Scheduled (S1).
1971: A Round Barrow on Waldringfield Heath is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, centred on circa TM266448, Waldringfield parish. The visible crompark is circa 18 metres in diameter although it appears very diffuse, probably due to plough damage (S4).
1981: Site under corn. No visible changes in corn level to betray presence of barrow (S1).
1985: Visible as slight rise in ground under still-low winter barley. Much spread, approximately 24m diameter (S1).
1989: The barrow lies in a field and has been totally flattened for some years. The field has recently been used to grow turf for sale. The site of the barrow could only be roughly ascertained from a spot on an aerial photograph (SCC 1972 survey). A small concrete marker was placed at the presumed centre of the barrow. No more turf would be stripped within about a 7m radius of the marker (the original size of the barrow was about 15m according to HBMC records)(S1).
1991: Said to be at risk, barrow flattened, marked by perimeter posts in ploughed field, fallow at present (S3).
15 January 1992: Mound still visible in field, post incorrectly positioned (S2).
May 1994: Scheduled area revised. Description and details in (S1).
- <M1> SSF43311 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SE1.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <M2> SSF43312 (No record type): Barrow survey:.
- <S2> SSF994 (No record type): Bamford H (DOE), site visit, January 1992.
- <S3> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/71156 102-3 02-MAY-1971.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13824)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13577)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Robertson Mackay R) (Ref: DOE (Robertson Mackay R)) (ESF12947)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13952)
- Event - Interpretation: The Aggregate Landscape of Suffolk: The Archaeological Resource (NMP) (EXS18925)
Record last edited
Jul 12 2019 4:55PM