Monument record BGL 006 - Eight Round Barrows on Martlesham Heath; Brightwell Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2470 4442 (48m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||BRIGHTWELL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||FOXHALL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round Barrow (site of)(SAM 94a).
1935: Tree covered bowl barrow (S1).
1962: No trace remains of this barrow (S2).
1977: Nothing visible (S3).
1981: Destroyed (S4).
1985: Invisible in flat stubble field (S4).
1991: Three ploughed over (no indication). Three overgrown. One preserved in ploughland, two maintained by residents in private garden, one levelled to make lawn.
1992: Survives as soil mark and visible mound circa 30cm high in ploughed field (S5) & as cropmark (S6).
1994: Site descheduled (S4).
In Foxhall parish following boundary change.
- <S1> SSF12209 (No record type): NWHCM, 1935.
- <M1> SSF46003 (No record type): Barrow survey:.
- <R1> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <M2> SSF46004 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SW13B.
- <S3> SSF10937 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, SAU, 1977.
- <S4> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S5> SSF991 (No record type): Bamford H (DOE), site visit, January 15 1992.
- <S6> SSF13135 (No record type): OS, APs 89 045 103 & 92 363 168, 1989 & 1992.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Coad V J) (Ref: DOE (Coad V J)) (ESF13873)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13997)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13968)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Robertson-Mackay R) (Ref: DOE (Robertson-Mackay R)) (ESF13251)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13660)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2019 11:41AM