Monument record BRD 291 - Possible hollow way and trackway of medieval to modern date
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (4)
January 2018. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Part of a possible hollow way was recorded during an earthwork survey of parts of Ling Heath (S1). It was thought to be of medieval date as it is overlain by the bank defining the boundary of Ling Heath (see BRD 130), and also cut by some post medieval flint mines (part of BRD 066). The possible hollow way, which has a bank and shallow outer ditch on its southwest side, is also visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs (such as S2) and imagery from a 2015 lidar survey (S3). Levelled, earthwork and extant traces of a narrow trackway (now levelled) can be seen on aerial photographs extending northwards and southwards from the hollow way (S2, S4-S5). Its appearance on the aerial photographs suggests that at least parts of the trackway were in use, or even created, in the 20th century; the northernmost section in particular looks like a modern vehicle track in 1946 (S2).
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 19th January 2018.
- <S1> SSF17485 Unpublished document: Pearson, T.. 1996. Archaeological Field Survey Report: Lingheath Farm, Brandon. RCHME survey report.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/1557 RS 4007-4008 07-JUN-1946 (HEA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Wangford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- <S4> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 1945 ACCESSED 19-JAN-2018 (Digital).
- <S5> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. RAF/CPE/UK/2021 RP 3062-3063 21-APR-1947 (HEA Original Print).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 23 2018 11:06AM