Monument record BGL 015 - Round Barrows SW of Dobb's Corner
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2365 4502 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||BRIGHTWELL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round Barrow (one of a group - see BGL 014, 016-018 and FXL 016; also see FXL 015). Overlaps with another barrow (FXL 016), parish boundary runs between them.
1919: Circa 40 feet diameter, covered with Scotch Firs. Not excavated (S1).
1935: Marked on 1 inch OS 1838 edition as 2 round barrows, which it may well be. On 6 inch and 1 inch present edition marked as 1 barrow. They look like two overlapping bowls, both covered with conifers (S2).
1962: Remains of barrow, diameter 10m, height about 0.5m, cut through centre by a modern trench which has removed the greater part of the mound. Covered with bracken, has fir trees growing on it (S3).
1977: 0.81m high, circa 12m diameter. On edge of woodland, has fir trees and bracken on it. Cut through centre by trench.
1978: One of a group of 6 barrows, 4 were excavated in 1919 and a report pulished in the Journal of the Ipswich & District Field Club. The largest of the excavated barrows was of BA date while one of the others appeared to be Anglo-Saxon. The remaining two were left untouched. These survive under bracken and trees in a strip of woodland. A third mound(see FXL 015) not mentioned in 1921 but described by OS just to the SE of track is of dubious character. The westerly of the two, stands to a maximum height of 1m and is 10m in diameter. No visible ditch (S4).
1994: Scheduled area revised (S4).
- <S1> SSF17568 (No record type): Reid Moir J, The Excavation of two tumuli on Brightwell Heath, J Ipswich & Dist Field Club, 6, 1-14.
- <M1> SSF44331 (No record type): Barrow survey:.
- <R1> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S2> SSF12209 (No record type): NWHCM, 1935.
- <M2> SSF44332 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24NW25D.
- <S4> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2019 1:06PM