Monument record STN 179 - Possible ridges, perhaps post medieval ridge and furrow or plantation ridges
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||SANTON DOWNHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (8)
- RIDGE AND FURROW? (Unknown date)
- RIDGE AND FURROW? (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- RIDGE AND FURROW? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CULTIVATION MARKS? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- CULTIVATION MARKS? (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- CULTIVATION MARKS? (Unknown date)
- PLANTATION? (Unknown date)
- PLANTATION? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
January 2018. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Possible ridges, perhaps post medieval ridge and furrow or plantation ridges, are visible as earthworks on imagery from a 2015 lidar survey. They could, for example, relate to an early forestry plantation, to temporary arable intake of part of Thetford Warren, or to the cultivation of forage crops for rabbits. Their relationship with the warren banks at their western end is not entirely clear, but they appear to underlie them. This could indicate an earlier, medieval date, but further investigation of the date of the banks (or, at least, their most recent reinstatement) and the sequence of earthworks would be needed to confirm this.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 21st January 2018.
- <S1> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR Thetford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 17-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 23 2018 1:58PM