Monument record BUC 002 - Remains of a possible round barrow of Bronze Age date, visible as a cropmark ring. (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2373 4183 (38m by 34m)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch. Ploughed out barrow, single circle, circa 30m diameter, part of group within complex BUC 012 (S1)(S2).
See also Sax.
The remains of a possible round barrow of Bronze Age date can be seen as a cropmark ring ditch on aerial photographs, to the south west of Bucklesham village, centred on circa TM237418. The ditch varies between circa 3.75 and 4.5 metres in width, and the ring-ditch is slightly irregular in shape, the western side appearing flattened. A much narrower and only partly visible possible inner ditch may mark the area of an inner mound or burial. The possible barrow is part of a group with BUC 003 and BUC 021-023. (S3, S4)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP ASK 26, 1967.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP ASK 26; RCHME TM 2341/7/301.
- <S2> SSF17492 (No record type): RCHME, AP TM 2341/7/301, June 1976.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2342/27/319 (SF1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2341/1/228 (956) 07-JUL-1976.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 19 2013 10:37AM