Monument record BUC 004 - Field system, trackway and possible ditched square enclosure of Prehistoric or Roman date, visible as cropmarks. (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 26709 41669 (631m by 512m)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Settlement site with squared enclosures N of Kembroke Hall (S1). ? Rom. Poorly defined ring ditch(?).
Field boundaries, tracks and a possible ditched square enclosure of late prehistoric or Roman date can be seen as cropmarks on aerial photographs circa 200 metres to the north of Kembroke Hall, Bucklesham parish, centred approximately on TM265415. A ditched track and the possible corner of a double ditched enclosure can be seen on a roughly north-south orientation. This differs from, and possibly predates, the north-east to south-west orientation taken by a very straight ditched track or road as it approaches a possible large ditched square enclosure. This feature is bisected by a modern track and is only partly visible, but would measure circa 80 metres to a side if complete. Possibly associated field boundaries can be seen to the south-west and east. (S2, S3, S4)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP ASK 23, 1967.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP ASK 23.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2640/2/263 (956) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2541/8 (1766/465) 04-JUN-1980.
- <S4> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S5> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Dec 31 2019 10:22AM