Monument record BUC 007 - Seven Hills Round Barrows

Please read our .

Summary

Round Barrow - Part of Seven Hills Group (see also BUC 006, FXL 011, NAC 004-013) - Scheduled Monument.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 2253 4127 (25m by 25m)
Map sheet TM24SW
Civil Parish BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK
Civil Parish NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Round Barrow - Part of Seven Hills Group (see also BUC 006, FXL 011, NAC 004-013).
1911: 'One situated immediately behind the police station is in course of demolition. In the course of taking the sandy soil, of which it is composed, for garden purposes, a quantity of black pottery has been found, but considered as rubbish, the pot sherds have been yet further broken to make a garden path. This tumulus has been of bowl form, 9 feet high at the apex.'(S1).
1931: 'Usual ninety paces in girth though much of the NW side is cut away by a large pit; it is fully 9 feet in height with the sides steep; and, on the S, has been hollowed to its middle for the purpose of forming a cart-shed. In the E face of this excavation I was so fortunate as to discover a skull- bone with very numerous fragments of deers' antlers (cervus dama).' (S2).
1962: Mutilated remains of a bowl barrow, 20m in diameter NE-SW by 15m transversely, 3m high. Situated in a cottage garden. An old excavation trench dug into the centre of the mound from the SW side contains a garden shed. Another cavity has been dug into the NW side to accommodate shed. The mound is bramble and bracken covered (S3).
1976: 16m in diameter and 1.98m high. Large hole in the centre down to ground level and edge cut away by track. Tree covered (R1).
1981: Mutilated (S4).
1986: Cavity opens into cottage garden and is under mown grass. It has removed the entire centre of the barrow. Edge of mound is cut by footpath on NE and by drive leading to garage on N. Light, sandy soil of cut sides has eroded and shows deep root penetration. Some animal holes (S4).
1991: Area devastated by storm damage. Fallen trees removed by tracked vehicles, replanted, now covered largely by bracken and hardly accessible.
1993: `Visible as an irregular earthen mound, standing to a height of 2m, and covering an area measuring circa 20m N-E to S-W by 16m S-E to N-W. Details in (S4).
In Nacton parish following boundary change.

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <R1> (No record type): Lawson, A.J., Martin, E. & Priddy, D.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D, The Barrows of E Anglia, E Ang Archaeol, 12, 1981, 67, 84.
  • <M1> (No record type): Barrow survey:.
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 627.
  • <S2> (No record type): Morley Claude, E Anglian Miscellany, 1931, 33, No 8417.
  • <M2> (No record type): SAM file:.
  • <S3> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SE15H.
  • <S4> Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (4)

Record last edited

Jun 10 2019 4:19PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.