Poorly Located Monument record SMR 041 - Former deer park, Semer

Please read our .

Summary

Deer park first recorded in 1130.

Location

Grid reference TL 99 46 (point)
Map sheet TL94NE
Civil Parish SEMER, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Deer park first recorded in 1130 (S1)(S2)(S3). Exact location unknown. Owned by the abbot of Bury St Edmunds by the early 12th century (S4).
"Dove House Meadow" appears on 1838 Tithe Map which also indicates there was once a park (see SMR 039).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Hoppitt, R.. 1999. 'Deer Parks 1086-c.1602', An Historical Atlas of Suffolk.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Rackham, O.. 1988. Medieval Deer Parks 1086-1602, An Historical Atlas of Suffolk.
  • <S4> Bibliographic reference: Liddiard, R. (ed). 2007. The Medieval Park: New Perspectives. Hoppitt R, 'Hunting Suffolk's Parks: towadrs a reliable chronology of imparkment' p.146 and p.157.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 21 2020 8:46AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.