Monument record SBN 103 - Former deer park, Tendring Hall, Stoke-By-Nayland

Please read our .


Former deer park first recorded in 1280 at Tendring Hall.


Grid reference Centred TL 9890 3529 (764m by 575m)
Map sheet TL93NE


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Former deer park first recorded in 1280 at Tendring Hall (S1). Marked on Hodskinson's Map of 1783 (S2). Later landscaped by Repton (see SBN 069).
Exact extent of deer park unknown. Mapping approximate based on Hodskinson's map.

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
  • <S2> Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

May 18 2021 4:38PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.