Building record BCC 137 - Former stable block at Lavinia Cottages

Please read our .


Former 19th century stable block


Grid reference Centred TM 4229 9109 (16m by 10m)
Map sheet TM49SW


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

The building is built from red brick nine inch thick and has been painted internally at some point in time. The roof is clau pantiles laid on timber batterns. Two up and over garages have been fitted at some point c.1970. The Bent family purchased Lavinia Cottages in 1856 and it has been in the same ownership since. When it was bought it had been a farm and the building was a stable block. Some evidence of this still exists. The floors in two if the compartments are concrete laid to drain with a gulley exiting through the outside wall. The remains of a hay rack and part of a stable door are also present. The stables were converted to garages in the 1950's. They have been used as garages and storage until recently (S1).

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Hogg, G.. 2017. Historic building Record: Lavinia Cottages, New Road, Beccles.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 15 2018 2:43PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.