Monument record NAC 004 - Seven Hills Round Barrows; Knights Wood
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2233 4124 (28m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round Barrow - part of Seven Hills group (see also BUC 006, 007, FXL 011, NAC 005-13).
1764: Barrows opened. "Ashes were found in some. One disclosed pieces of apparently human bone" (R2)(S5).
Numerous (more than 7) round tumuli, some of considerable size. The 1836 1 inch OS map marks 11 of them (S5).
1911: '... in a plantation, covers a large area and is 6 feet high.' (S1).
1931: 'One yet lies athwart the cart-track and much flattened; it is some ninety paces in circumference, though hardly over four feet in height.'(S2).
1962: In good condition, 30m in diameter, 1.4m high. Within a wood and tree covered. A track crossing over the centre has very slightly mutilated it (S3).
1976: Tree covered, a path across the centre but otherwise in very good condition. 31m in diameter and 1.18m high (S4).
1981: Good, bracken free, pine and chestnut covered (S5).
1986: Under mature deciduous trees with some conifers and scrub. Track runs SSE-NW across centre. Irregular hole NW of centre on line of track, approx 2m SW-NW and 0.5m SW-NE, approx 0.3m deep. Filled with leaf litter and twigs, but scarcely silted (S5).
1991: Said to be at risk. Area devastated by storm damage. Fallen trees removed by tracked vehicles, replanted, now covered largely by bracken and hardly accessible (S6).
1993: Largest & most northerly of group (of six bowl barrows) covering a circular area 31m in diameter and standing to a height of 1.2m. The barrow group (SAM 21281) occupy an area with maximum dimensions of 155m NW to SE & 80m NE to SW. Scheduled area enlarged November 1993 (S5).
- <M1> SSF43116 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 627.
- <R1> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S2> SSF11497 (No record type): Morley C, E Anglian Miscellany, 33, no 8,417.
- <R2> SSF23270 (No record type): Wooderspoon J, Memorials of Ipswich, 1850.
- <M2> SSF43117 (No record type): Barrow survey:.
- <M3> SSF43118 (No record type): Photograph: SAU AEC12.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SW15B.
- <S4> SSF19389 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, 1976.
- <S5> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S6> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13940)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13805)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF13550)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF12901)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2019 10:58AM