Monument record NAC 005 - Seven Hills Round Barrows; Hobbin's Belt
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2249 4115 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round Barrow - Part of Seven Hills group (see also BUC 006, 007, FXL 011, NAC 004, NAC 006-013).
1764: Barrows opened. "Ashes were found in some. One disclosed pieces of apparently human bone" (R2)(S5).
Numerous (more than 7) round tumuli, some of considerable size. The 1836 1 inch OS map marks 11 of them (S5).
1911: 'the third, in an adjacent coppice, is of smaller proportions' (to NAC 004) (S1).
1931: '... close to the station-road is the largest left entire, now also ninety paces round its base, but fully seven feet high and crowned by beech, oak and two pines.' (S2).
1962: In good condition. 20m in diameter, 1.3m high. Within a wood, bracken-covered (S3).
1976: Tree covered, otherwise in very good condition. 22m in diameter and 1.87m high (S4).
1981: Good, pine, chestnut some bracken (S5).
1986: Under mature oak, with some bracken and young sweet chestnut. Some trees fallen, but without causing damage because of above roots. Dimensions as above (S5).
1993: `Visible as an earthen mound standing to a height of 1.4m and covering a circular area circa 24m in diameter. The mound is encircled by a ditch, ... This has become completely infilled, but survives as a buried feature, estimated to be 3m in width'. Scheduled area redefined & NGR changed from TM 2249 4115 to TM 2250 4115 in November 1993 (S5).
- <M1> SSF43119 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 627.
- <R1> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S2> SSF11496 (No record type): Morley C, E Anglian Miscellany, 1931, 33, no 8,417.
- <R2> SSF23270 (No record type): Wooderspoon J, Memorials of Ipswich, 1850.
- <M2> SSF43120 (No record type): Barrow survey:.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SW15C.
- <S4> SSF19389 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, 1976.
- <S5> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13941)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13806)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF13551)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF12902)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2019 11:02AM