Monument record NAC 008 - Seven Hills Round Barrows; Hobbin's Belt
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2262 4110 (26m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round Barrow - Part of Seven Hills group (see also BUC 006, 007, FXL 011, NAC 004-007, 009-013).
1764: Barrows opened. "Ashes were found in some. One disclosed pieces of apparently human bone" (R2)(S3).
Numerous (more than 7) round tumuli, some of considerable size. The 1836 1 inch OS map marks 11 of them (S3).
1962: G (OS reference) - In good condition, 22m in diameter E-W x 24m transversely, 0. 9m high. Within woodland (S1).
1976: Tree & bracken covered. 28m diameter, 1.2m high (S2). 1981: Elm, oak, pine some bracken (S3).
1986: Under mature deciduous and coniferous trees, including a large oak near the centre, some bracken. Dimensions as above (S3).
1993: Stands to a height of 1.2m and covers a sub-circular area measuring circa 26m NS by 24m EW. Scheduled area redefined to include NAC 007 in November 1993 (S3).
- <M1> SSF43126 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SW15G.
- <R1> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S2> SSF19389 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, 1976.
- <R2> SSF23270 (No record type): Wooderspoon J, Memorials of Ipswich, 1850.
- <M2> SSF43127 (No record type): Barrow survey:.
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13944)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13809)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF13554)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF12905)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2019 11:05AM