Monument record RLG 002 - Redlingfield Nunnery
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 186 706 (267m by 230m)|
|Civil Parish||REDLINGFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Remains of Redlingfield Nunnery (Priory). Small Benedictine nunnery founded in 1120.
All that survives above ground is a rectangular building aligned N-S, circa 18 x 5 yards, much rebuilt and rebuttressed, with few clues as to what part of the nunnery it formed. There are square headed windows on the ground and first floor. On the ground floor is a blocked arched doorway in the SW corner. Roof is modern. Used as a barn (1979). ? Part of moat to W (S1). 1991: Roof said to be pretty bad and the ends of the building are likely to fall out (S3).
2017: Analytical earthwork survey in order to re-evaluate the scheduling. Redlingfield Hall occupies the site of Redlingfield Priory. An extensive fishpond complex, apparently associated, lies 300m to the west. The earthwork survey concluded that earthworks indicative of buried archaeology survive across the site relating to both the medieval priory and fishponds and the post-medieval occupation of the site, perhaps including elements of a designed landscape (S6).
- <M1> SSF43164 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH, Suffolk, 2, 1907, 83-5.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP LG 22.
- <M2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP LG 22.
- <R2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM17SE6,.
- <S3> SSF21759 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Paul Edwards) survey, table of results, 1991.
- <S4> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU,TM 186 706, JFX 1-4, 14-15, 20 July 1992.
- <S5> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TM 186 706, JGE 4-8, 22 July 1992.
- <S6> SSF58266 Unpublished document: Hunt, D., and Alexander, M.. 2017. Analytical Earthwork Survey: Redlingfield Hall, Eye, Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Analytical Earthwork Survey - Redlingfield Hall, Eye (ESF26040)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M J) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M J)) (ESF13815)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13562)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Sherlock D) (Ref: DOE (Sherlock D)) (ESF12921)
Record last edited
Jan 19 2018 2:39PM