Monument record OCC 003 - Moated Site NE of Occold Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1500 7088 (98m by 90m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||OCCOLD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moated Site NE of Occold Hall.
Moat, unoccupied, isolated, wet, rectangular, no causeway, N of Occold Hall (S1).
Outline planning permission granted for house on interior, July 1978 (S2). Scheduled May 1979 (S3).
This well preserved rectangular moated site is surrounded by ploughed fields. The central platform, which is tree and vegetation covered, is surrounded by a wet moat 4-5m wide. There is no causeway (the only means of access to the central platform being via an iron step ladder)(S3).
1981: Completely impossible to penetrate into the interior, which is tree and vegetation covered. A few dead elms noted. Moat wet with considerable amount of dead wood and weed to N (S3).
1982: Walked around moat. No access to interior. A few fallen trees but mainly covered in undergrowth and scrub. Moat wet with considerable amount of dead wood and dead leaves (S3).
1991: Water level maintained by farmer to avoid flooding (S4).
- <S1> SSF19119 (No record type): SAU, Carr R D, site report OCC 003, 1978.
- <M1> SSF43280 (No record type): SAM file :.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM17SE11.
- <S2> SSF11187 (No record type): Mid Suff Dist Council, correspondence, 1978.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: notes re planning application 1978; site report.
- <M3> SSF43282 (No record type): Moats Archive: 1:2500 plan.
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF21759 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Paul Edwards) survey, table of results, 1991.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2021 7:32PM