Monument record THD 003 - Moat Farm, Hestley Green
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 156 666 (143m by 177m)|
|Civil Parish||THORNDON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Moat. Small, rectangular, with enclosures, part occupied. At the S end of Hestley Green (S1).
E side of moat survives as a wet moat. NW corner has been redug. House originally had an open hall. Building heightened in C17 and given display gables at the front and back (now removed but internal structure survives). Complex of interlinked ponds/moat to the S, purpose unclear, ?fishponds (S2).
- <S1> SSF18913 (No record type): SAU, APs BDR 4-5.
- <M1> SSF46293 (No record type): APs: BDR 4-5.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM16NE8.
- <S2> SSF19403 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, 1995.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: annotated maplet.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 7 2014 11:14AM