Monument record BDF 001 - Fleming's Hall

Please read our .

Summary

Moat. listed building

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 192 679 (189m by 189m) Centred on
Map sheet TM16NE
Civil Parish BEDINGFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Moat. Large square, occupied, isolated. Large enclosure on NE. Site takes its name from the Fleming family, manorial lords here in the C14 (Adam Flemying taxed 4s here in 1327). The heiress of the Flemings married James Bedingfield (d.1435), a younger son of the family at Bedingfield Hall. Bedingfield family were owners down to C18, but from C17 the family seem to have been largely resident at Ditchingham in Norfolk.
Rectangular moat, containing 1.662 acres. The moat is widest on the NW and SW sides. Cleaning of the moat in 1990 revealed a V-shaped channel on the bottom of the moat on those two sides. This channel is absent on the other two, narrower , sides. Present access is across a timber bridge (with a brick parapet) on the SW side. There is also a causeway on the NW side. Cleaning of the moat revealed horizontal timbers near the base of this earthen causeway, possibly the remains of a bridge structure. It is possible that the original access was on this side, where the moat is probably at its broadest. There is a 4 acre enclosure adjoining the NW side of the moat. A spur coming off the NE corner of the moat (shown on the 1: 2500 map) seems to indicate another enclosure on the SE side, however this spur has now been infilled. There is no revetting to the moat, except on the SW side where farm buildings adjoin the outer edge of the moat - in that area there is a mixture of brick and brick & flint revetting to the outer edge of the moat. The existing brick and timber house faces the entrance on the SW side and is set back about a third on the moated platform. The house dates from the second half of the C16 and has ornamental Dutch style gables. The most likely builder is Thomas Bedingfield (1554-1636). There is an internal linear fish pond attached to the NW side of the moat (S1).

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <S1> (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, 1990.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: annotated plan 1990.
  • <S2> (No record type): Sandon E, Suffolk Houses, 1977, 167-169.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

Record last edited

Feb 17 2022 2:19PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.