Monument record ASP 001 - Aspall Hall

Please read our .

Summary

Moat.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 171 653 (129m by 139m)
Map sheet TM16NE
Civil Parish ASPALL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

Moat. Large oval, isolated, occupied. C16 decorated bricks found (S1). 1621 map of the manor of Aspall (by William Stokes for John Dobbes gent) does not clearly show the moat, though traces of blue could be related to it (S2). Manor belonged to Walter Langton, Bishop of Lichfield (d.1321) and subsequently to William de Hoddeshagh and then to the Peverells and de la Poles. Eventually 1702, acquired by Chevalier family (S3).

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <R1> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM16NE10.
  • <S1> Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 29, 3, 1963, 342-344.
  • <S2> (No record type): 1621. Suffolk Record Office, Ipswich HB79/2/1.
  • <S3> Bibliographic reference: Copinger W A. Manors of Suffolk. Copinger W, Manors of Suffolk, vol 3, 217f.

Finds (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Mar 3 2015 4:26PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.