Monument record ELV 193 - Possible undated rectangular pit with surrounding banks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Not recorded|
|Map sheet||Not recorded|
|Civil Parish||ELVEDEN, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
No mapped location recorded.
Type and Period (8)
- PIT? (Unknown date)
- PIT? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- PIT? (Second World War - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD?)
- MILITARY TRAINING SITE? (Second World War - 1939 AD? to 1945 AD?)
- GARDEN FEATURE? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK)? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BANK (EARTHWORK)? (Unknown date)
- BANK (EARTHWORK)? (Second World War - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
January 2020. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
A possible rectangular pit with surrounding banks of an unknown date is seen as an earthwork (which has since been levelled) on aerial photographs (S1). It is possible that the feature maybe a Second World War military training feature, post medieval parks and gardens feature possibly relating to Elveden hall (ELV 009), a modern feature created from grass cutting or a natural feature. The feature has been mapped by extent due to the uncertainty as to whether the feature is archaeological, modern or natural in origin. The feature is seen as a low earthwork in the 1945 (S1) and has been levelled by the 1946 (S2).
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 17th January 2020.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 7 2020 12:06PM