Monument record HLY 022 - Ring ditch of uncertain date, possibly Bronze-Age, visible on aerial photographs.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3750 4607 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLLESLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch, circa 30m diameter. Within HLY 005 (S1)(S2).
A ring ditch of unknown date and circa 20m diameter is visible on aerial photographs located about 350m to the north-west of the former site of Cauldwell Hall, centred on circa TM37494603, Hollesley parish. The ditch is on average 2m wide and a possible entrance or causeway across it may be visible on the eastern side of the feature. The diameter of the feature and the width of the ditch leads to an interpretation that the ditch probably surrounded a barrow of Bronze Age date, rather than a later prehistoric roundhouse, but it is not possible to be sure without excavation. (S2-3)
- <S1> SSF17891 (No record type): SAM Scheduling information.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BPV 48, YJ 64.
- <M2> SSF39860 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BPV48) 04-JUN-1974.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (AJD14) 18-JUL-1978.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 3:51PM