Monument record HLY 023 - Ring ditch of unknown date, visible as cropmaks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3765 4594 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLLESLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch, circa 15m diameter. Possible entrance to SE - maybe causewayed. Within HLY 005 (S1)(S2).
A ring ditch of unknown date is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, centred on circa TM37664593, Hollesley parish. The ring ditch is circa 12.5m in diameter and the ditch itself is less than a metre wide. There may be an entrance on the south-east side of the feature, circa 3m wide, possibly with slightly widened terminals. The size of the feature and the width of the ditch supports an interpretation of the feature as a drainage ditch that may have surrounded a later prehistoric round house (or Med windmill mound?) rather than that of a Bronze Age barrow, but without excavation we cannot be certain.
- <S1> SSF17891 (No record type): SAM Scheduling information.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BPV 48, YJ 64.
- <M2> SSF39862 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP (BPV48) 04-JUN-1974.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (AJD13) 18-JUL-1978.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 3:51PM