Monument record HLY 025 - Ring ditch of unknown date, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3754 4588 (27m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLLESLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch, circa 20m diameter. Adjacent to and NW of a ring ditch of similar size HLY 027. Within HLY 005 (S1)(S2).
A ring ditch of unknown date is visible on aerial photographs as a cropmark, centred on circa TM37554584, Hollesley parish. The feature encloses an area circa 13m in diameter and the ditch is less than 1 metre wide. The ditch appears too narrow to be associated with a round barrow and is more likely to have been the drip gully of a later prehistoric round house. An entrance or causeway across the ditch may be visible on the south-east side. The ring ditch is within an area defined by linear ditched field or enclosure boundaries that are also visible as cropmarks. The boundaries may belong to several different phases of settlement or expansion of the irregular enclosure to the east (HLY 028), and this ring ditch may be associated with one of these settlements or phases of expansion. A very similar ring ditch that may predate the irregular enclosure can be seen immediately to the east (see HLY 027).
- <S1> SSF17892 (No record type): SAM, Scheduling information.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BPV 48, YJ 64.
- <M2> SSF39866 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BPV 48) 04-JUN-1974.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ACU27) 25-JUL-1976.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 3:52PM