Monument record HLY 026 - Three, or possibly more, small ring ditches, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3784 4603 (50m by 83m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HOLLESLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
At least three ring ditches, extremely small, circa 3m diameter, to S of enclosure HLY 024.
The size of these features is highly suggestive of Anglo Saxon burial practice, ie this is a ? cemetery. Within HLY 005 (S1)(S2).
As stated above, three very small possible ring ditches are visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs, centred on circa TM37824601, Hollesley parish. The ditches themselves are about 0.5m wide and enclose areas on average about 3m in diameter. The date of the features is unknown, and further similar features may be present but due to the scale and quality of the photographs it is not possible to be sure. (S2, S3)
- <S1> SSF17891 (No record type): SAM Scheduling information.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BPV 48, YJ 64.
- <M2> SSF39868 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BPV48) 04-JUN-1974.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP ( YJ64) 17-JUN-1959.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 3:52PM