Building record GLG 064 - The 309th Memorial Museum (former control tower)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 3272 6073 (point)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT GLEMHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A World War Two control tower at Framlingham (Parham) Airfield, now a museum. The control tower is situated just inside the western edge of the former flying field. Built in 1943, the control tower is a 1941 pattern known as "Watch Office of All Comands", with a 1943 pattern control room. The building is rendered and has two main storeys with a flat roof. A smaller third storey is formed by the glazed control room. There is a balcony facing onto the airfield at first floor level. During the late 1990s the tower was restored by volunteers as the centre piece of the 390th Memorial Museum, including the British Resistance Organisation Museum
- <S1> SSF50091 Bibliographic reference: Freeman, Roger A. 1978. Airfields of the Eighth - Then and Now.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 6 2022 12:53PM