Monument record HVH 154 - Royal Observer Corps Monitoring post at Haverhill

Please read our .

Summary

Royal Observer Corps Monitoring post at Haverhill.

Location

Grid reference TL 5677 2462 (point)
Map sheet TL52SE
Civil Parish HAVERHILL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (1)

Full Description

In the rear garden of 22 Churchill Avenue, OPEN Three sides of the compound fencing remain (forming the edge of the property) in place including the old gate, now heavily overgrown, in the North West corner. All surface features remain intact apart from the BPI pipe which is missing. Some of the earth cover has been removed revealing several courses of bricks under each shaft. The step up to the access shaft has also been removed. The hatch is open. Internally the post is clean and tidy with the shelf, cupboard, twin bunks and a single bed frame in place. There is also some wiring, BT (GPO) connection boxes and wiring, light and the timer which still works. The owner is keen that the post should be retained and he would like to undertake some restoration work in the future.

A brick building measuring 8' X 6' and roofed stands nearby representing a part (crew room) of the aircraft post. It has been repaired by the owner.

Opened in 1959 and closed in 1968 (S1).

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <S1> Digital archive: Subterranea Britanica. 2023. Subterranea Britannica Website.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Dec 14 2023 2:40PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.