Monument record ARW 019 - A ring ditch of unknown date and function, visible on aerial photographs.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 215 348 (100m by 56m)|
|Civil Parish||ARWARTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch, circa 10m diameter. Just NE of ring ditches ARW 018. These three form a close group to the N of ARW 002 field boundaries and trackway group (S1)(S2).
A ring ditch/small circular enclosure of unknown date and function is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, centred on (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) in a field to the north of Erwarton village. The ring ditch encloses an area of approximately 9.5m in diameter. The other two rings ditches described above and in ARW 018 and 019 are not visible on any of the photographs (S1-S3) and may be natural features that have been misinterpreted or agricultural marks where the farmer has been avoiding the nearby telegraph pole. It is not clear which of the three HER records, ARW 017, 018 or 019, relates to the visible ring ditch therefore this description is repeated on each. The ring ditches were originally located at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s). (S4)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ASK38) 03-JUL-1967.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP ASK 38, 39; SAU AGK 07.
- <S2> SSF18515 (No record type): NMR TM 2134/4 (SFU 11565/GK/7) 21-JUL-1977.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ASK39) 03-JUL-1967.
- <S4> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 08/01/04.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 8 2015 2:22PM