Find Spot record IPS 129 - Crouched Burial, Dales Road Brickfield; Bolton & Laughlin's Pit, Ipswich.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 156 464 (point)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
October 1911: Remains of `Ipswich Man' - Inhumation, crouched, presumably Prehistoric, found `in situ with above strata undisturbed', in S side of Bolton & Laughlin's sandpit (S1,S2). Believed by Reid Moir to be Palaeolithic (S3), as were other human bones from SW corner of Bolton's pit (S3, 133-4).
- <S1> SSF16527 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1912. The Occurrence of a Human Skeleton in a Glacial Deposit at Ipswich. PPSEA, 1, 1912, (2), 194-209.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM14NE2.
- <S3> SSF11419 Article in serial: 1912. Moir J R & Keith Sir A. Moir J R & Keith Sir A, J Roy Anthr Inst, 42, 1912, 345.
- <S3> SSF11441 Bibliographic reference: Moir J R. 1927. The Antiquity of Man in East Anglia. Moir J R, The Antiquity of Man in East Anglia, 1927, 130-4, ill.
- <S4> SSF11428 Article in serial: Moir J R. 1916. Pre-Boulder Clay Man. Moir J R, Nature, 12 October 1916.
- FSF17832: HUMAN REMAINS (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 2 2017 10:21AM