Monument record SKT 006 - Edgars Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0469 5770 (143m by 117m)|
|Civil Parish||STOWMARKET, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
14th C aisled hall structure, removed to Museum of East Anglian Life, Stowmarket. For details of building, prior to excavation, see (S2). This is a 3 bay timber-framed structure with a crown post roof and highly decorative arch braces (S3).
Excavated below - pits containing C12 - early C14 pottery. Details in (S1).
Finds included (Mes?) worked flints and other misc material (S1). November 1995: Area of site as recorded on HER map enlarged to include all former farm buildings and pond/moat(?).
- --- SSF54318 Article in serial: Colman, S.. 1974. A late aisled house in Suffolk.
- <S1> SSF3996 (No record type): Colman S & West S E, E Anglian Arch 1, 1975, 39-45.
- <M1> SSF43649 (No record type): Excavation archive: plan (outsize cabinet); 3 plans (small store).
- <S2> SSF21365 (No record type): Smith J T, PSIA, 28 (1), 1959, 54-61.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish Files. Parish file: letter to SEW & 1927 map of farm.
- <S3> SSF54318 Article in serial: Colman, S.. 1974. A late aisled house in Suffolk.
- <S4> SSF54322 Article in serial: Kathleen Sandell. 1975. Aisled halls in England and Wales.
- <S5> SSF54323 Article in serial: Kathleen Sandell. 1986. Aisled Halls in England and Wales.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 23 2012 3:13PM