Monument record NYW 004 - Ring ditches and enclosures of unknown date.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9341 3349 (231m by 303m)|
|Civil Parish||NAYLAND-WITH-WISSINGTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Ring ditches and enclosures etc (S1)(S2)(S3).
Three/four ring ditches within enclosure area; one larger, open to SE, traversed by smaller ring ditch of circa 10m diameter and by NW side of rectilinear enclosure with entrance to NW. Also see ring ditches NYW 1,2,3 & 16 to SW.
2006: surface finds from area 'centered TL933334: Area of noticeably dark grey soil in brownish sandy field. Large quantity of post medieval (C18/19) peg roof tile some with glaze, sherds of Saxo-Norman pottery (similar fabric to Thetford), sherds of Roman pottery (mostly coarse wares with some finer orange fabric), several medieval sherds, very fine neolithic flint knife.' (S4).
- --- SSF56439 Monograph: Colchester Archaeological Group. 2014. The Stour Valley: A Prehistoric Landscape.
- <M1> SSF46574 (No record type): APs: (S1)(S2)(S3)(S4).
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs AFJ 47, 49, 1966; CJC 73, 75, 1979.
- <S2> SSF18436 (No record type): SAU, AP AFY 19.
- <S3> SSF17488 (No record type): RCHME, AP TL 9333/27/383, June 1976.
- <S4> SSF50039 Unpublished document: Letter. Curteis Dr M (Essex CC) to Pendleton C (SCCAS), March 2006, map.
- <S5> SXS50124 Photograph: Norfolk Landscape Archaeology. Norfolk Landscape Archaeology Air Photography. NAU AP TL933334, JEM 2-4 24-7-1992.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2016 3:53PM