Monument record WFL 001 - The Priory, Church Road.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9237 4512 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE WALDINGFIELD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
C14 Vaulted crypt under C18/C19 house.
Alleged site of monastery.
"Old house known as 'The Priory' has a vaulted crypt of C14 date, but has been much enlarged in modern times. Little appears to be known about its origin or history and although it is reputed to be part of a monastery there does not seem to be anything to substantiate this. Probable the house takes its name from having once formed part of the possession of the monks of Colne Priory, in whose hands was the presentation to the Benefice from 1299-1555." Before Restoration there was an ambry in the refectory, suggested it may have belonged to the Dominican Order (R2).
Known as Brick House Farm at the time of the 1841 Tithe Survey, renamed The Priory late in the C19.
Confused on some OS maps with the site of Edwardstone Priory.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 13, 1908, 242.
- <S1> SSF5132 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Suffolk (The Little Guides), 1957, 349.
- <R2> SSF1070 (No record type): Barker, H.R.. Barker H R, West Suff Illus, 1907, 368.
- <R3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL94NW1.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 9 2007 1:14PM