Monument record EDN 003 - Medieval priory.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 939 437 (188m by 195m)|
|Civil Parish||EDWARDSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Site occupied Priory Farm, C16, on parish boundary with Little Waldingfield. Priory cell, Benedictine, founded 1114-1115, dissolved 1160. No structural remains of priory, apparently incorporated into the farmhouse (S1). Or ? was the Priory actually the church and Priory Farm just part of the property. Named `Edwardstone Priory' on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S2) & Bowen's 1755 map (S3), both of which portray a substantial building.
- <R1> SSF10370 (No record type): Knowles, D. & Hadcock, R.N.. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales (2nd ed). Knowles D & Hadcock R N, Med Rel Houses, 1971, 53, 61.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL94SW6.
- <S2> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 4 1989 12:00AM