Monument record BTE 001 - Cast Iron Road Bridge, SE of Bridge Farm.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 933 482 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENT ELEIGH, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Cast iron road bridge, SE of Bridge Farm. Disused road bridge; single span cast iron, dated 1813, by Ransomes of Ipswich (also see CLA 030). Brick abutments, the whole tied together with further cast iron linking the bases of the buttresses on the river bed. Five segmented ribs support the roadway, which is carried on bricks apparently laid on oak boards supported by the ribs. Modern rails on bridge (S1).
1991: Said to be falling, unmaintained and at risk. "County Surveyor is trying to off-load it" (S2).
A bridge is shown at this location on Hodskinson's map of 1783 (S3) & Bowen's map of 1755 (S4). Construction date of these unknown.
Listed as one of 16 most important industrial archaeology sites in Suffolk (S5)(R2).
- <M1> SSF44405 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5225 (No record type): DOE scheduling information, 1970.
- <S2> SSF21759 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc (Paul Edwards) survey, table of results, 1991.
- <R2> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Cossons N, The BP Book of Industrial Archaeology, 1975.
- <S3> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S5> SSF50007 Serial: Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter. 35 September 1991.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 14 2012 4:31PM