Monument record LMD 005 - Kentwell Hall (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 863 479 (234m by 225m)|
|Civil Parish||LONG MELFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Moat. Large rectangular, wet, occupied. Enclosure to N. Isolated. Built by the Cloptons circa 1564 (S1)(S2).
Dovecote just outside the SW corner of the moat at TL 8629 4788. Square brick structure with pyramid roof, windows in upper storey. Reputed to be the largest in Suffolk (S4).
Map of Kentwell Hall estate made by Johan Williams 1613 for Sir William Clopton (S5).
Gardens of moated hall, c.6.5 ha set in park of c.52 ha; gardens mid C16 onwards, park C17 and C18 (S6).
See also PMed.
- <M1> SSF43519 (No record type): APs: ALN 13, 14; NAU GDT 7-11.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL84NE2,3,4.
- <S2> SSF18889 (No record type): SAU, APs ALN 13,14.
- <S3> SSF11757 (No record type): NAU, APs GDT 7-11, July 1990.
- <S4> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. 352.
- <S5> SSF3725 (No record type): Clopton G C, The Clopton Family, 1984, map & schedule reproduced as plates.
- <S6> SSF5680 (No record type): EH, Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 39 Suffolk.
- <S7> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. ESSEX CC, AP, BW/99/13/19 + 10.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2015 3:24PM