Monument record KDG 007 - Roman Settlement NW of Cotton Hall (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 706 456 (253m by 360m)|
|Civil Parish||KEDINGTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Scatter of pottery and tile beside R Stour, with evidence of flint wall foundation and occupation and destruction levels.
Surface finds include box and roof tile, a few tesserae and limestone fragments; pottery (mainly C2-C4) including samian, Nene Valley mortaria, Much Hadham (stamped raised boss), grey ware flanged rim bowls, coins C3-C4 (up to Valentinian); bone knife handle; bronze object (photos). Examination of modern field ditch exposed a flint mortared foundation and layers of tile fragments, mortar, clay and chalk. The densest concentration of surface finds lies to the E of the field ditch but this section suggests good preservation under hillwash to the W (S1).
- <S1> SSF3462 (No record type): Charge B B, HDAG Newsletter, 2, 1980 (3).
- <M1> SSF41259 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: photographs.
- <S2> SSF5226 (No record type): DOE scheduling information, 1986.
- <S3> SSF18864 (No record type): SAU, APs AJB 18, 19.
- <S4> SSF20394 (No record type): SAU, Photos AHD 16-18, AJQ 4-6.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 3 2012 4:11PM