Monument record LDG 001 - Roman Villa South East of Lidgate
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7319 5706 (297m by 304m)|
|Civil Parish||LIDGATE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Villa. Corridor type, large, with buttressed barn and perimeter double ditch. Dimensions on OS card (R1).
Initially identified as surface scatter by landowner (S1).
A courtyard type of villa with an unusually elaborate room plan. There is a detached building to the SE. Both buildings are enclosed within a large rectangular ditched enclosure. Tiles and other occupational material have been found on the site by S West (S2).
1981: Site under linseed crop. Heavy scatter of tile, flint, pottery. Fragment of bronze, twisted, Roman? bracelet recovered also (S2).
1986: Most of site ploughed and weathered at time of visit, the remainder under a young cereal crop. All parts scattered with brick/tile, flint and occasional oyster shell. Material looked weathered and rolled, as if it had been in the ploughsoil for some seasons, rather than freshly ploughed- up. Mr Crisp says that PLUTO was cut through the site during World War II (S2).
Pre 1859: Finds of a small bronze Hercules figure, a handle decorated with four faces and coins listed as from Lidgate, about one mile from the `medieval entrenchments at Lidgate' (re castle)(S3), probably relate to this site.
- <S1> SSF20897 (No record type): SAU, West S E.
- <M1> SSF46511 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL75NW1.
- <R2> SSF291 (No record type): Antiquity, 45, 1971, 224 (photo & note by St Joseph).
- <M2> SSF46512 (No record type): APs: (S4)(S5)(S6).
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 1, 1850, 151.
- <M3> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S4)(S5)(S6).
- <M4> SSF46514 (No record type): Photographs: ABY 16-25.
- <S4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs BFA 85,86,88; BFJ 90; BJY 26; BSJ 79; BFE 53,54; BFD 46, BHQ 25.
- <S5> SSF18876 (No record type): SAU, APs AJM 16 & 17.
- <S6> SSF50024 Photograph: McMasters. Air Photograph. McMasters I, AP, Undated.
- <S7> SSF50023 Photograph: Farrands. Air Photograph. Farrands RH, undated.
- <S8> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2021 11:05AM