Monument record CHV 003 - Chevington Hall Farm

Please read our .


Chevington Hall - large quadrilateral moat of the Abbot of Bury, enclosing about 4 acres.


Grid reference Centred TL 789 602 (341m by 269m)
Map sheet TL76SE


Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Chevington Hall - large quadrilateral moat enclosing about 4 acres. It has a large water-filled ditch, about 12m wide, on three sides with a strong inner rampart or bank, 3-5m high. The moat has a wider splay on the east, which is bounded by two large ponds with an entrance causeway between them (S1). The present house within the earthwork is C16 in date, but contains Med timbers (S2). The earthwork adjoins Chevington churchyard on the south side, with Chevington Hall Green on the south east.
The manor of Chevington belonged to the Abbey of Bury St Edmunds at the time of Domesday (1086).
In 1285-6 the Abbot held a messuage and 508 acres in demesne at Chevington. In 1309 Abbot Thomas wrote a letter from his hall at Chevington (S3).
In November 1328 Abbot Richard de Draughton was captured by the rioting townsmen of Bury St Edmunds at his manor of Chevington and abducted (S4).
The Abbots had a deer park to the north of the moated site; the park is mentioned in 1492 (S3) and Sir Clement Heigham was appointed Keeper of the Park circa 1528 (S5).
After the Dissolution the manor was granted to Sir Thomas Kytson of Hengrave. A survey done for his son, Thomas, 1584/5, mentions the site of the manor, called Chevington Hall, the gardens and a dovecote enclosed by a moat and the inventory of the Countess of Bath, 1562, mentions a hall, a new parlour, a little parlour, `my lady's chamber', closet and inner chamber in the house (S3).
For excavations and building remains and debris within moated area, see CHV 021.

1066/1086 Manor of 6 carucates, belongs to Abbot of St Edmunds.
1539 Sir T. Kylson owns, linked to HNV.
1716 John, Earl of Bristol owns to IKW.
1911 Marquis of Bristol owns.
Goult only states one manor for this parish, dispite there being three moated sites. The manor might have moved, or these sites CHV 004, and CHV 007, might be unrecorded submanors. (S9)

Earthworks visible on Lidar. See associated files.

Sources/Archives (12)

  • <S1> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76SE1.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
  • <R1> Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 2, 1858, 435.
  • <M2> (No record type): Moat file:.
  • <S2> (No record type): Aitkens P.
  • <S3> (No record type): Gage J, History & Antiquities of Suffolk, Thingoe Hundred, 1838, 323-6.
  • <S4> (No record type): Arnold T, Memorials of St Edmunds Abbey, vol II, 1892.
  • <S5> (No record type): Cooper F, Chevington, A Social Chronicle of a Suffolk Village, 1984, 7.
  • <S6> Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 588, 589 (ill), 620.
  • <S7> Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XXIV, 80, 85-7 (ill 84, 87); XLIII, 16 - (quoting R1).
  • <S8> Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 98, 99.
  • <S9> Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Suffolk County Council Sites and Monuments Record: Chevingham Manor.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (2)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Sep 21 2020 11:58AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.