Monument record SNN 003 - Pottery scatter, C12-C17. Also metal detected finds and pottery recovered in 2003. (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 874 564 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||BRADFIELD COMBUST WITH STANNINGFIELD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Pottery scatter, C12-C17. Cropmark of moat? (S1). Farmer says ploughed in, though not shown on 1884 OS map. Relocated from (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) after (S1), November 2002.
Thetford type ware from this field (SAU 1979).
1994: Bronze finger ring (?date), long cross penny of Edward and C15 purse frame fragment, surface finds(?), by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) in `area' of SNN 003.
Surface finds of pottery extending across centre of field (centreing on (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s)) almost across to SNN 002 (S2).
Metal detecting in 2003 revealed lead spindle whorl weight, a bronze key (locking) and a spout of a vessel, all Med. Also bronze unidentifed object, Roman. S3
Med pottery also found in 2003, and occasional Rom and pmed sherds also. S4
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BFE 47, 30 April 1971.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BFE 47.
- <S2> SSF50082 Verbal communication: Personal communication. Atkinson S, MADDC, November 2002.
- <S3> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. Minter, F., SCCAS. Sf-6111a5, sf-5d50b1, sf-6100b5, sf-4d9e80. 2003.
- <S4> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. Anderson, S. SCCAS. Finds report, 7/11/02.
- FSF17273: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF17274: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD? to 1100 AD?)
- FSF17275: PURSE (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF17276: COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
- FSF29851: UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF29852: WEIGHT (Roman to Medieval - 43 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF29853: KEY (LOCKING) (14th century to 16th century - 1300 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF29854: VESSEL (15th century to 16th century - 1400 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF29859: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF29860: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FSF29861: POTTERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2013 9:42AM