Monument record WLL 003 - Convent of Crutched Friars (site of)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 886 587 (131m by 87m)|
|Civil Parish||LITTLE WHELNETHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Site of a convent of Crutched Friars, placed in the chapel of St Thomas before 1274. Dissolved 1538.
Standing house of circa C16 with later additions incorporates flint walling and buttress fragments of the chapel; also some detached remains.
Two trenches were excavated within the footprint of a proposed extension to the western wing of the C16 house, revealing two wall footings thought to belong to the friary claustral buildings and dating to the 13th century.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL85NE12.
- <R2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner, 1961, 315.
- <R3> SSF10361 (No record type): Knowles, D. & Hadcock, R.N.. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales (2nd ed). Knowles & Hadcock, Med Religious Houses, 1971, 210.
- <S4> SSF51817 Unpublished document: DG. 2003. Archaeological Evaluation Report. The Crutched Friars, Little Welnetham.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 12 2016 1:39PM