Monument record FHM 007 - Castle Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9561 5592 (67m by 70m)|
|Civil Parish||FELSHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moat - remains of a square. Portions of S, E and N arms survive and are wet, these vary between 4m and 9m wide. Occupied by large white brick faced but timber framed building. No evidence to support VCH claim that it was `built on the remains of the old castle' (S2) although in the ownership of `Felsham Castle' (see FHM 016) and could have been built (or refaced) from the remains of the old castle. Note remains of pillars in grounds and building fabric (former substantial pillar capital in garden now removed)(S3), which are recorded as "drums and capitals etc" of carved columns in Copinger-Hill (S4). Also note inhumations (Rom) from Castle Farm, Felsham - see FHM 011. Isolated, 100m from parish boundary, 1, 400m from church (S1)(S2).
Mansion destroyed 'pillars removed' late C18 (R1).March 1994: Visited site, only one ornate facing stone capital (C18?) located in front of house (under repair)(S5). For contemporary capital at Grange Farm, see FHM Misc.
- <R1> SSF10317 (No record type): Kirby, J.. Kirby, Suffolk Traveller.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL95NE3.
- <R2> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 140.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 609.
- <S3> SSF7329 Personal Correspondence: Hart Mrs A. 1994. February 1994. Hart Mrs A, February 1994.
- <S4> SSF4124 (No record type): Copinger-Hill Rev H, PSIA, 18, 1924, 219.
- <S5> SSF20124 (No record type): SAU, Pendleton C, field report, March 1994.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 4 1995 12:00AM