Monument record MUN 008 - Packhorse Bridge
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6975 6453 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MOULTON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Packhorse Bridge. LB Grade II*.
C15 low bridge of four arches. Built of flint rubble, faced at arches and cut-water buttresses with brick. Steps a modern innovation, added a few years ago (S1).
Repair of bridges in Moulton mentioned (R1).
Scheduled area revised by English Heritage but revised mapping seems less accurate than original (which was not totally correct either). HER mapping probably better.
A watching brief was undertaken during the installation of a new display panel. No archaeological remains were observed (S3).
- --- SSF10079 Bibliographic reference: Jervoise, E.. 1932. The Ancient Bridges of Mid and Eastern England. 110.
- <R1> SSF15440 (No record type): Page, Supplement to Suffolk Traveller.
- <M1> SSF45934 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF22876 (No record type): Watkins A A, `Moulton Pack-horse bridge', PSIA, 21, 1932, 110ff, ill.
- <R2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 7, 129, (ill - frontispiece).
- <S3> SSF50290 Unpublished document: Bates, S.. 2007. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Packhorse Bridge, Moulton, Suffolk.
- <R3> SSF7744 (No record type): Invoice, Ancient Bridges Mid & Eastern England, 110.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 30 2016 3:32PM