Monument record GAZ 010 - Black Hill; Gallow Field (Tithe)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7195 6764 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||GAZELEY, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Black Hill - Round Barrow (S1)(S2). Marked on OS 1st edition map (1837; scale 1 in to 1 mile). Lay to S of Gallow Heath Plantations. 1982: Barrow showing as a raised flinty area in the field. Approximately 40 paces in diameter and at least 1m above the level of the surrounding field. Site now ploughed. Site lies 130 paces in from the green lane, along the S boundary of the field, and then 100 paces due N into the field. Field is known as Gallows Field (local information). Area threatened by quarrying (S3). For gallows - see GAZ Misc.
- <S1> SSF18604 (No record type): SAU, AP AMD 20.
- <M1> SSF44669 (No record type): Barrow index:.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL 76NW8.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, AP TL 7267/4/162.
- <M2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. APs: SAU AMD 20; NMR TL 7267/4/162.
- <S3> SSF10939 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, SAU, 1982.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 9 2011 2:47PM