Monument record RBY 003 - Round Barrow. (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7761 6783 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||RISBY, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A barrow in this vicinity opened by Sir Thomas Gage ante 1820 , wood ashes found (R2).
1869: Excavations by W Greenwell, produced only Saxon finds (R3).
Still shown as mound on 1958 OS map (S1).
1959: Sherd of BA urn and un-urned cremation found in 1959 excavation, also flints (R4).
1976: Nothing visible.
1977: Ploughed virtually flat.
See also Sax and RBY 004.
- <S1> SSF12625 (No record type): OS, 1:10560 map, TL 76 NE, 1958.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL76NE2,.
- <R2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 2, 1859, 208.
- <R3> SSF7133 (No record type): Greenwell W, Examination of Suffolk Tumuli - Risby, Quart J Suffolk Inst Archaeol, 1869, 37.
- <R4> SSF5662 (No record type): Edwardson A R, Further Excavations on Tumuli at Risby, 1959, PSIA, 28, pt 2, 153-60.
- <R5> SSF10484 (No record type): Lawson, A.J., Martin, E. & Priddy, D.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. Lawson A J, Martin E A, Priddy D, The Barrows of East Anglia, EAA 12, 1981.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Dec 6 2010 2:21PM