Monument record NWN 001 - Nowton Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8605 6049 (142m by 156m)|
|Civil Parish||NOWTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moat. Occupied. Rectangular with rectangular annex. 300 yards W of church (S1).
For monitoring of groundworks associated with construction of new barns in 2006 see NWN 008.
2008: Archaeological monitoring confirmed the existence of the moat. The depth of the moat ditch was not consistent and varied from 1.4m to 2.6m deep across the 36m length that was sampled. The bottom of the moat was infilled with black organic silts which had accumulated since sometime after the 18th century. The backfilling of the moat was completed during the 1950’s and the moat platform had been truncated during construction work (S2).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 5 2016 2:33PM