Monument record RGH 001 - Eastlow Hill Tumulus
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8996 6175 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||RUSHBROOKE WITH ROUGHAM, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Eastlow Hill - Barrow.
1825: Marked on C & J Greenwood's Map of Suffolk.
1844: Partially excavated by Prof J H Henslow. Found a chamber with walls of flint & mortar with tile courses at intervals, on a flint and mortar platform and with a tiled roof. Contained an inhumation in a lead coffin. Coffin appears to have been enclosed in a wooden case. Inhumation appears to have been wrapped in animal skins (R1).
1871: Mound tree covered, elliptical, 17 feet high. Tunnel made in 1844 was still open and the chamber could still be seen in situ. Roof was mostly intact and the bones of the skeleton still lay in the chamber, minus the skull and the coffin (R2)(R3)(R4).
1935: Entrance at S end, through gate, leads to passage about 4 feet high with chambers set off to right and left and at end (?) slightly twisted to W. The chambers on E are open from outside. Suggestion of (?) Roman tile set into one of the chambers at NE. All other chambers are in earth. Wood supports (modern) are in centre. Sides and roof of internal structure look as if they have been recently excavated. Mound probably about 12 feet high and perhaps 35-45 yards long. Quite a horned entrance at S (R5).
1970: Mound although almost its original height (5.1m) is in a pitiful state, having been burrowed into from the E and SW and dug into in two places on top (R6).
1976: In small copse beside road, tree and ivy covered, much disturbed by old excavations. 4.82m high, circa 36m diameter (R7).
1978: The Eastlow Hill Tumulus, which was excavated in 1844, although mutilated on the SW and E and dug into places on top, is still a substantial mound 20 ft high situated among trees (S1)
See also RGH 002.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R1> SSF7443 (No record type): Henslow J H, The Roman Tumulus, Eastlow Hill, Rougham, opened 4 July 1844, Bury Post..
- <M2> SSF37258 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R2> SSF926 (No record type): Babington C, Roman Antiquities found at Rougham in 1843 & 1844, PSIA, 1874, 257-281.
- <M3> SSF37259 (No record type): Barrow Survey archive:.
- <R3> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 315-316.
- <R4> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 308-309 (+ photo).
- <R5> SSF12282 (No record type): NWHCM, sketch plan of chambers.
- <R6> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86SE1.
- <R7> SSF10908 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, 1976.
- <R8> SSF23142 (No record type): Whites Directory of Suffolk, 1844, 37.
- FSF6243: COFFIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (8)
- Event - Survey: Contour Survey carried out by SCC 1986/1987. (ESF16667)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Henslow Prof J H (Ref: Henslow Prof J H) (ESF14973)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation - Eastlow Hill Tumulus (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-279812) (ESF25716)
- Event - Intervention: Geophysical and Topographic Surevy + Excavation - Eastlow Hill Tumulus (Ref: OASIS-suffolka1-278595) (ESF25461)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Chant K) (Ref: DOE (Chant K)) (ESF13913)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Coad V J) (Ref: DOE (Coad V J)) (ESF13419)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13738)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (Martin E) (Ref: SAU (Martin E)) (ESF12228)
Record last edited
Mar 8 2017 11:08AM