Monument record BSE 023 - St Petronilla's Hospital
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8609 6326 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
St Petronilla's Hospital - site of. The hospital of St Petronilla or St Parnell without the S gate was for leprous maidens (R1).
Photograph of part of wall still standing (S1)(R1)(R2).
Graveyard (site of), wall (remains of) & St Petronilla's Hospital (site of)(S1)(R3). For summary see (S3). Remains of medieval structure (flint walls) and windows survive within existing building and stone steps leading downwards (now covered with concrete) exist in the garden (S4). June 1983: Inhumation dug up when digging footing trench for replacement wall behind old people's homes (S2).
Note: The only English dedication of a church to St Petronilla is nearby at Whepstead - see WHP 019.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86SE29.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 1, 34.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S2).
- <R2> SSF10358 (No record type): Knowles, D. & Hadcock, R.N.. 1971. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales (2nd ed). Knowles & Hadcock, Med Religious Houses of Eng & Wales, 1971, 349.
- <S2> SSF2987 (No record type): Bury Free Press, 3 June 1983.
- <R3> SSF12804 (No record type): OS, 1:500 map, 1885.
- <S3> SSF18290 Unpublished document: Anderson, S.. 1996. Archaeological Report: The Medieval Hospitals of Bury St. Edmunds. SAU, Anderson S, The Med Hospitals of Bury St Edmunds, unpub ms, March 1996.
- <S4> SSF15300 (No record type): Owner, per SAU (Pendleton C), December 1997.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 8 2012 11:10AM