Monument record BRG 003 - Necton Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 880 674 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||GREAT BARTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
1958: TL 8807 6746 - Necton Hall on site of (NAT) Necton Hall (S1)(R1). `The square moat of Necton Old Hall is dilapidated on the N. Outside the S part of the E side is a portion of bank, over 100 ft long, indicating the former defensive additions' (S1)(R2).
March 1970: `Local enquiries revealed the ruin of the hall was pulled down some time ago and more recently the moat was bulldozed out of existence' (S1).
March 2012: clear cropmarks of trapezoidal (slightly off square) moat with entrance to north. Field boundary from E adjoins NE corner. Slighter cropmarks of probably ditched enclosure, pond etc on N/NE side of enclosure (former farm buildings?) (S3).
Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <R1> SSF12915 (No record type): OS, 6 inch map, TL 86 NE, 1958.
- <M1> SSF46789 (No record type): APs: (S2).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86NE14.
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/13/32 & 33, June 1997.
- <R2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 620.
- <S3> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. Steve Wilson, emailed images sent to SCCAS, 2 March 2012 (copies in parish file).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 23 2020 9:20AM